𝓦𝓮𝓵𝓬𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻 5 𝓐𝓻𝓰𝓮𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓼𝓼
Welcome to Argentina class, made up of 31 amazing children, Mrs Thorpe (class teacher) and our teaching assistants Mrs Styring and Mrs Read. On our webpage you will find lots of useful information and updates throughout the year. More regular 'in the moment' updates will be shared through Class Dojo so please make sure you're connected! For your information, every other Tuesday Miss Roberts will cover the class during my PPA time (planning, preparation and assessment time).
You are hopefully aware of Spelling Shed, our new program to help the children with their spelling. The children all have a login for Spelling Shed, which is stuck somewhere in their diary. To help the children improve their spelling, I have made a couple of changes to the way spellings are taught/tested.
1. We will still continue to test the words on the Year 5 word list (documents found below). However this will only happen once or twice a month rather than each week.
2. Each week or every other week we will focus on a particular spelling rule, for example words that end in tial. The children will complete activities in class for these words and will also have that spelling rule set for them on Spelling Shed to practise at home or in school when time allows.
This will allow the children exposure to a greater number of words and help them with their general spelling in written work rather than just focusing on spelling a few words. The spellings will be posted on ClassDojo for the following Friday. If spellings are not posted on ClassDojo then words from the spelling list will be tested.
Homework each week could be mymaths, spag.com or a topic related piece. Homework on the webpage will be updated by the end of each week, homework is expected in the end of the following week. Homework runs along side regular reading (both independently and to an adult) and learning spellings.
24.01.20 - My Maths - Multiplying Fractions
17.01.20 - Based on what we have read so far, design your own alternative front cover for the Holes book. This could go on our display, so make sure it's your best work!
10.01.20 - My Maths Bar Model Fractions
08.11.19 Learn BSL song for class assembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GStkveXNMEM&list=RDMMGStkveXNMEM&start_radio=1
22.11.19 MyMaths - short division
13.09.19 My Maths - Place Value
20.09.19 My Maths - Rounding decimals
24.09.19 War Horse picture, children to create an image of Joey the war horse, this can be in any style they want. Paper available from school if needed.
04.10.19 My Maths - Ordering decimals
11.10.19 Mental Health Awareness Day leaflet
18.10.19 MyMaths - addition and subtraction
Autumn Term: Conflicts
We will be covering the following:
Causes of WW1
War Horse (our class text)
...and much more!
Spring Term: Land of the Free
We will be covering the following:
Framed narrative technique (story within a story)
Earth and Space
...and much more, take a look at the curriculum map below for more information!
- Monday 6th January - children back to school
- Tuesday 7th January - Mrs. T - PPA
- Wednesday 8th January - forest school (pm)
- Friday 10th January - swimming
- Friday 17th January - swimming
- Tuesday 21st January - Mrs. T PPA
- Wednesday 22nd January - forest school (am)
- Friday 24th January - swimming
- Tuesday 28th January - Year 5 first aid training
- Wednesday 29th January - forest school (pm)
- Friday 31st January - swimming
- Tuesday 4th February - Mrs. T PPA
- Wednesday 5th February - forest school (am)
- Thursday 6th February - Holes playhouse trip
- Friday 7th February - swimming (last session this half term)
- Wednesday 12th February - forest school (pm)
- Friday 14th February - last day of Spring 1
- Monday 24th February - INSET day
- Tuesday 25th February - children back to school (Mrs. T PPA)
- Friday 28th February - swimming
- Friday 6th March - swimming
- Tuesday 10th March - Mrs. T PPA
- Friday 13th March - swimming
- Friday 20th March - swimming
- Tuesday 24th March - Mrs. T PPA
- Friday 27th March - swimming (last swimming session)
- Friday 3rd April - last day of Spring 2
- Monday 20th April - children back to school
- Thursday 21st May - last day of Summer 1
- Friday 22nd May - INSET day
- Monday 1st June - children back to school
- Tuesday 21st July - last day of school
If you need to contact me the best way to do so is via Class Dojo. If you need to meet with me in person please call or email to arrange a time. I will not be able to meet with any parent/guardian at the start of the school day as the children are arriving, as per school policy.