WELCOME TO YEAR 5
Welcome to Sunflower class, I look forward to a fantastic year with you all. We will cover a variety interesting topics and I expect to see lots of top quality work. Expectations are high in Year 5 as you are now an upper junior, it is all about learning to be independent, responsible, resilient and having high expectations for yourself in order to achieve your best.
Every other Tuesday Miss. Biddles will cover the class during my PPA time (planning, preparation and assessment time). Mrs. Kinderman our teaching assistant will be with us two mornings every fortnight. We will also be helped by volunteers Mr O'Dowd (my granddad and a retired teacher) and Mrs Smart.
Check in here for updates of what we have been up to - for those times when you ask what they got up to at school and the answer is 'not much'!
I can't quite believe that it is December already - where has the first term gone. This week we have had a Santa Cam installed in the classroom so that Santa can keep an eye on the children - let's hope they're behaving in school so they end up on Santa's good list! In RE/PSHCE/BV this week we have been learning about democracy and the Government. The children were tasked with the job of creating their own political party and manifesto. The parties created by the children are as follows:
- The endangered animal party
- The 'get sporty' party
- The super environmental party
- The elite team
- The help the homeless party
- The blue party
- The eco party
Look out for some more information about what the children have included in their manifesto and which political party gets the majority vote.
Look out for swimming letters being sent out next week.
We have had yet another busy couple of weeks. The children have been learning written methods for multiplication, including short and long multiplication. I have been really pleased with how well they have coped with this and have taken the challenge in their stride! I am really starting to see the children mature and settle into Year 5.
Welcome back after half term, I hope you all had a lovely break. We have hit the ground running already this half term. We are looking at formal calculation methods for multiplication in maths and continuing with our War Horse class text. We have written some poetry relating to remembrance.
A busy week, the children have been working hard. We have been learning formal method for addition and subtraction as well as tackling some missing number problems. In literacy we have been writing newspaper reports and have now moved on to letter writing - all around our War Horse class text. In computing we have been learning programming and using Scratch Jr to create interactive games. Next week is assessment week, I know this can cause some anxiety for the children but it is chance to celebrate what they can do and make sure they're on track.
What a great couple of weeks, the children have been working hard. We enjoyed our mile run on Friday for Stand Up for Derbyshire day and enjoyed our cakes from the sale. We have been looking at newspaper reports and learning strategies for mental addition and subtraction. The children are looking forward to their class assembly on Thursday.
Another busy couple of weeks, feels like we have never been away! The children have got stuck into our War Horse text and have been making good progress with their maths work. We will be rehearsing our class assembly over the next week to get ready for Thursday 4th October - we hope to see you there.
What a busy week, its been a pleasure getting to know the children this week and so lovely to be back in the classroom again - it's too quiet without them! Thank you for all the holiday homework, we have some lovely art work to display. Don't forget if you need to get in touch you can send a message on the class Dojo or come into school via reception, we have an open door policy so do let me know if you have any questions etc.
Next week will be a normal week (as normal as they get in a primary school), the children will make a start on our Conflict topic and get stuck into the War Horse class text. We will also be joined by a sports coach to support our Tag Rugby on Thursday's.
Our class text for Autumn Term is War Horse
- Monday 5th November - Back to school
- Tuesday 6th November - Miss O'Dowd's PPA (Miss. Biddles teaching)
- Tuesday 13th November - Miss O'Dowd on course (Miss. Biddles teaching)
- Friday 16th November - Children in Need (non uniform day)
- Wednesday 21st November - Movie Night
- Friday 23rd November - Artist in for light switch on project
- w/c Monday 26th November - Assessment Week
- Thursday 29th November - Long Eaton Christmas Light Switch On
- Saturday 1st December - Christmas Fair
- Tuesday 4th December - Miss O'Dowd's PPA (Miss. Biddles teaching)
- Wednesday 5th December - Parent's evening
- Wednesday 5th December - Christmas dinner day
- Tuesday 11th December - Miss O'Dowd on swimming course (supply cover)
- Friday 14th December - Christmas Jumper Day and Panto
- Tuesday 18th December - Miss O'Dowd's PPA (Miss Biddles teaching)
- Friday 21st December - Last day of Autumn 2
- Monday 7th January - Back to school
- Friday 15th February - Last day of Spring 1
- Swimming starts for Sunflower class - Friday 11th January - Friday 8th February (5 weeks)
- Monday 25th February - Back to school
- Swimming - Friday 1st March - Friday 29th March (5 weeks)
- w/c 4th March - Bikeability
- Friday 12th April - Last day of Spring 2
- Wednesday 17th April - Miss O'Dowd gets married!
- Monday 29th April - Back to school
- Friday 24th May - Last day of Spring 2
- Monday 3rd June - Back to school
- Friday 19th July - Last day of Summer 2
Homework each week could be mymaths, spag.com or a topic related piece. Homework on the webpage will be updated by the end of each week, homework is expected in the end of the following week. Homework runs along side regular reading (both independently and to an adult) and learning spellings.
w/c 3.9.18 - Homework for parents (see download below)
w/c 10.9.18 - MyMaths
w/c 17.9.18 - Spag.com
w/c 24.9.18 - Active weekend homework (see document below)
w/c 1.10.18 - MyMaths
w/c 8.10.18 - MyMaths
w/c 15.10.18 - Spag.com and optional missing number subtraction
w/c 5.11.18 - MyMaths
w/c 12.11.18 - Spag.com - Recap of learning so far
w/c 19.11.18 - MyMaths - long multiplication
w/c 26.11.18 - MyMaths - short division
w/c 3.11.18 - Spag.com
Below you will find the full set of Year 5 spellings for this year. The children will know which spelling set they're on and will receive a printed copy of the spellings. Children should be practising their spellings regularly to ensure they are achieving a good mark in their weekly spellings and are applying these in their writing.
In class we use the class dojo reward children, you are able to connect and see what your child is receiving points for and also have a look at the class story where I will be able to quickly update you on things happening in the class. The children with the most Dojo points at the end of the week will be our Dojo winner and get the Dojo chair for the following week.
Indoor - Tuesday PM (where possible due to KS1 rehearsals)
Outdoor - Thursday PM
Don't forget your kit!
Autumn Term: Conflicts
We will be looking at the following:
Causes of WW1
War Horse (our class text)
...and much more!
If you need to contact me you can do so either via class dojo, school email or by phoning the office.